Washing socks might sound simple, but it should be done carefully. This is because socks may come in different fabrics, colors, and types, so washing them all, in the same way cannot keep them looking good for years. Another thing that may come with improper or careless washing is lint accumulation.
However, a little attention to these details while washing your socks will make a big difference in how they look.
Take Care of Your Socks
Mostly, people don’t spend much time looking after their socks. However, high-quality, well-fitting, clean socks help us walk properly while keeping our feet warm and cozy in the winter. So, taking care of them is the least we can do in return. So, instead of throwing up your socks in the washer with other clothes, wash them carefully.
How to Wash Your Socks in a Washing Machine?
- Turn your socks inside out before putting them into the washer, as bacteria and germs will accumulate inside the socks. So, turning them inside out will eliminate foul odor and bacteria while keeping them lint-free.
- Separate socks by style and color, as washing dark or colored socks and a load of whites may spoil them by bleeding the stains.
- Add mild detergent to the washer and ensure to wash your socks in cold water on a gentle cycle setting. This will prevent your socks from fading and snagging.
How to Wash Your Socks by Hand?
- Socks made of delicate materials, such as cashmere, silk, and Merino wool, should be hand-washed to avoid long-term damage.
- Have a bucket of cold water and add some mild laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid.
- Turn your socks inside out and soak them in the bucket for at least 5-10 minutes or even 30 minutes if they have heavy dirt and stains.
- Swish socks around in the soapy water to loosen up the grime and wash them with another bucket of cold water to remove detergent.
- Don’t wring, scrub, or twist, as this can stretch your socks or cause snags and runs.
How to Wash Stained Socks?
- Mix one part of liquid detergent with two parts of hydrogen peroxide, allow the socks to soak in the solution for some minutes, and then wash them.
- Mix one cup of lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of powder detergent and soak your socks in it for a few minutes before washing.
How to Dry Your Socks?
Drying your socks with a dryer is effortless, but some fabrics will accumulate lint, so air dry your socks.
- Lay wet socks on a clean towel.
- Roll the towel tightly and press it down to remove excess water.
- Hang your socks on a clothing rack or clothesline to air dry.
Is Dry Cleaning the Socks a Good Idea?
No, dry cleaning will break down the elasticity of your socks, making them loose while looking unattractive.
Make Your Socks Last Longer
Whether you wash your socks by hand or the washing machine, wash them properly with the best possible care. This will extend the life of your socks while preventing runs and snags.
Looking for Help Washing Your Socks? Contact Fresh & Clean Laundromat!
Fresh & Clean Laundromat is committed to getting your socks washed perfectly and adequately, so you can wear them for years. Contact us today to learn more about our residential and commercial laundering services.
Comments are closed.