HOW TO WASH SNEAKERS IN WASHING MACHINE WITHOUT RUINING THEM
We all have a pair of shoes that we wear over and over again until they’re barely recognizable. For most of us, they are sneakers. If you have reached a point of no return, we have good news. Shoes are easy to clean! It is entirely possible to wash canvas shoes in the washing machine without damaging them. While we don’t recommend tossing them into your regular cycle and hoping for the best, there are some easy ways that help you clean your sneakers with minimal effort at your local Chula Vista laundromat.
Should you wash sneakers in the washing machine?
Whether or not you should wash sneakers in the washing machine ultimately depends on what your shoes are made of. Check the care label to determine if you can use the washer to clean your shoes. Canvas shoes can easily be cleaned when put in the machine. However, leather or dress shoes, suede shoes, and rubber boots should be kept out of the washing machine and should be cleaned professionally instead. Likewise, shoes made from delicate materials or those that are embellished should be cleaned with specialist care.
It’s easy to wash sneakers and kids’ shoes in the washing machine because they are often made from textiles such as nylon, cotton, and polyester. These materials are able to withstand a machine wash. Not only does putting your shoes in the washer save you time and energy, but it produces results like no other method!
Steps on how to wash sneakers in the washing machine:
- The night before, wipe off as much dirt as possible with a brush, cloth or an old toothbrush. Then, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of baking soda in each shoe and leave overnight. Dump out in the morning.
- Remove the laces. Put them untied inside a pillowcase or wash bag to prevent them from getting tangled. Place them inside the washing machine.
- Add your shoes and some towels to the washer. The towels will help to soften the load and prevent your shoes from getting slammed against the inside of the machine. Make sure they are the same colors as the sneakers to avoid the hue from transferring.
- Use liquid detergent and run the washer on a cold, delicate cycle. Keep the water cooler to prevent the colors from your shoes running or fading.
- Remove the sneakers from the machine and let them air dry. Never put shoes in the dryer because the heat may warp them or damage the glue that holds them together.
Be sure to find a quality Chula Vista laundromat that offers flexible hours and a great atmosphere to make your laundry a snap. At Fresh & Clean Laundry, we are here to help. Visit our laundromat today to learn how we can help you do your laundry in no time.
Comments are closed.