No matter how hard we try, stains happen. From wind spills to grease smears, we often find that our clothing takes a beating on a day to day basis. In order to make short work of these stains, it’s best to know how to handle them ahead of time. Being prepared means you can help tackle them sooner, preventing your clothing from being ruined for good. Here’s what you need to know about common food stains when visiting your Chula Vista laundromat.
Keep these household items handy:
- White vinegar
- Club soda
- Baking soda
- Prewash stain remover
- Laundry detergent
- Blot up as much moisture as you can with paper towels
- Flush the fabric with cool water
- Cover it generously with table salt and leave the salt to absorb the wine
- Brush the salt off, soak the stain with more water, then blot with a cloth
- Wash as usual in the washing machine
- Scrape away any solid remains and blot the wet sauce with a clean and dry cloth.
- Soak the stain in cold water for five minutes.
- With a spare toothbrush, scrub it gently with laundry detergent.
- Use hot water to wash the garment and then air dry.
- As soon as you see grease on clothing, such as pizza grease, use a generous amount of baking soda to cover and absorb the stain.
- Let the powder sit for 2 to 3 minutes, then discard.
- Place a small drop of laundry detergent on the affected area and then gently dab with a clean, wet paper towel.
- Repeat until the grease stain is no longer visible.
- For fresh coffee stains, try cold water first. Run cool water through the back of the stain, and you may find that this is all the treatment that’s needed. Run the fabric under cold water for around 10 minutes, or run the water until the stain is completely clear.
- For older coffee stains, you will need to soak the clothing in water after you’ve rubbed the liquid detergent in. Every five minutes, gently rub the stained fabric with your thumb and fingers to loosen it up. After 30 minutes of soaking it in cold water, check the stained area. Repeat if necessary.
- Use a stain remover, following its directions, if the above has not done the trick.
- Clean any remaining chunks of chocolate with a spoon. Avoid peeling or scraping it that will only smear the mess.
- Once the chocolate is removed, use cold water to rinse the stain.
- Rub a small drop of liquid laundry detergent into the area.
- Allow the fabric to sit for a moment or two, then soak it in the cold water for 15 minutes.
- Rinse until the stain is no longer there.
Mud and Dirt
- Hold the stained fabric inside out, directly under running water.
- If you cannot wash it right away, leave it to soak in cold water.
- When you’re ready to wash the dirty clothes, you can work a liquid detergent into the stain with a soft bristle brush before machine washing it.
Need help with stain removal? Give us a call to learn about our services how we can help.
At Fresh & Clean, we are your one-stop-shop for all your laundry needs, whether it be laundry or dry cleaning. Visit our website or call us today at 619-691-7626 to learn how we can help you do your laundry and dry cleaning in no time.
Comments are closed.